I’ve been actively reading Quora answers since July this year (2019).
Actively, as in, at least 10 questions and their top answers a day.
On an average, I bookmark 2 answers a day. I bookmark the ones that make the most impact on me during the day.
So in the spirit of redistributing and having an easier access to my favorite ones, I decided to publicly post them on here on a daily basis.
The following question and answer were the best I glanced over for the day.
What is the scariest theory known to man?
The American writer Andy Weir wrote a short story in 2009. It’s a story that’s both beautiful and scary. I let you discover it.
- You were on your way home when you died.
- A car accident. Nothing particularly remarkable, but deadly, nevertheless. You leave behind a woman, and two children. It was a painless death. Helpers have tried the impossible to save you, but to no avail. Your body was so badly broken that it’s better that way, believe me …
- And there, you met me.
- “So … what happened? “ you asked. “ Where am I ? “
- “You are dead,” I said, in the tone of which banalities are said. No interest in lace.
- “There was … a truck? A skid … “
- “Yep,” I said.
- “I … am I dead? “
- “Yep. But do not worry. Everyone dies, “I said.
- You looked around you. Nothing. An expanse of nothing. Just you and me. “What is this place?” You asked. “Is this heaven?”
- “More or less,” I said.
- “Are you God?” You asked.
- “Yes,” I replied. “I am God.”
- “My children … my wife,” you said.
- “Yes, well what?”
- “Will they be fine?”
- “That’s what I like to see,” I said. “You just died, and your first concern is for your family. That’s good, I like it. “
- You watched me with fascination. In your eyes, I did not look like God. Just to some man. Or to a woman. An example of authority, perhaps, more of the kind teacher than Almighty.
- “Do not worry,” I said. “They will get by. Your children will remember you as someone perfect from every angle. They did not have time to develop contempt for you. Your wife will cry, it’s safe, but deep down she’ll be secretly relieved. To be honest, your marriage was floundering. If it helps you, she’ll feel very guilty about feeling relieved. “
- “Oh,” you said. “And now ? Am I going to heaven, or hell, or what? “
- “Neither,” I said. “You will be reincarnated.”
- “Ah,” you said. “Then the Hindus were right!”
- “All religions are right, in their own way,” I said. “Come on, let’s go.”
- You followed me as we walked through the void. “Where are we going ?”
- “Nowhere in particular,” I said. “It’s just nice to walk while we talk.”
- “So, what’s the point, suddenly?” You asked. “When I’m born again, I’ll be like a blank slate, right? A baby. And so, all my experiences, and all that I have done in this life will no longer count. “
- “Not at all!” I said. “You have in you all the knowledge, all the experiences of all your past lives. You do not remember for the moment, that’s all. “
- I stopped walking and took you by the shoulders. “Your soul is grander, more beautiful, more gigantic than anything you can imagine. A human spirit can never contain more than a very small part of what you are. It’s like putting your finger in a glass of water to see if it’s hot or cold. You put a very small part of you there, and when you take it back, you remove all the experiences she had. “
- “You have been in a human for the last 48 years, so you have not stretched out yet, to feel the rest of your immense consciousness. If we stayed here long enough, you’d start remembering everything. But there is no point in doing this between each life. “
- “How many times have I been reincarnated, then?”
- “Oh, heaps. Tonnes and tonnes. And in lots of different lives. “I said. “This time, you will be a little peasant girl in China from 540 BC. AD “
- “Wait, what?” You stammered. “Are you sending me back to the past?”
- “Well, yes, technically, I guess. Time, as you know it, exists only in your universe. Things are different from where I come from. “
- “Where are you from?” You said.
- “Oh, of course,” I explained “I come from somewhere. Somewhere else. And there are others like me. I know you would like to know how it is there, but honestly you would not understand. “
- “Oh,” you said, a little disappointed. “But wait. If I reincarnate at other times, I was able to interact with myself sometimes. “
- “Of course. It happens all the time. And as in each of your lives, you are only aware of your own existence, you do not even know it happens. “
- “So, what is it for ?”
- “Seriously?” I asked. “Seriously? You ask me to explain to you the meaning of life? It’s not a little cliche? “
- “Okay, but it was a reasonable question,” you insisted.
- I looked you in the eyes. “The meaning of life, the reason I created this whole universe, is that you grow up.”
- “You mean the humanity ? You want mankind to grow up? “
- “No, just you. I created this universe only for you. With each life you grow up, you become more walled and your intellect grows, widens. “
- “Just me ? But then, all the others? “
- “There is no one else,” I said. “In this universe, there is only you and me.”
- You stared at me. “But all the other people on earth …”
- “All of you. Different incarnations of you. “
- “Wait … I’m everyone !?”
- “Ah, here you are, begin to understand,” I said, punctuating my sentence with a pat of congratulations on the back.
- “I am all human beings who have existed?”
- “Or that will exist, yes.”
- “I am Abraham Lincoln?”
- “And you’re John Wilkes Booth, too,” I added.
- “I am Hitler?” You said, dismayed.
- “And you are the millions he has killed.”
- “I am Jesus?”
- “And you are the ones who followed him.”
- You remained silent.
- “Whenever you took someone for a victim,” I said, “it’s you that you’re taking for a victim. Every act of kindness you did, you did it. Every gay or sad moment that a human being has experienced has been, or will be, experienced by you. “
- You remained thoughtful for a long time.
- “Why?” You said. “Why do all this?”
- “Because one day, you will become like me. Because that’s what you are. You are one of mine, my son. “
- “Wow,” you said incredulously. “You mean I’m a god?”
- “No. Not yet. You are a fetus. You are still growing up. Once you have lived all human lives all the time, you will have grown enough to be born. “
- “So the whole universe,” you said, “it’s only …”
- “An egg.” I replied. “Come on, now it’s time for you to move on to your next life.”
- And I sent you on your way.
I hope you enjoyed this answer as much as I did.
I really recommend you check out other answers to this question on Quora. I may have read it a long time ago and some new and even better answers may have popped up since.
If you don’t use Quora, feel free to leave a comment down below about this answer.